Family Support Intervention in Intensive Care Units: A randomized Trial to Improve Surrogate Decision-Making for Critically Ill Elders
|Project Period: 09/01/2008 - 08/31/2012||PI: Douglas White, MD, MAS|
|Funding Source: National Institute on Aging K23|
|The Four Supports Intervention is a multifaceted intervention in which a specially trained nurse intensively provides four types of support to surrogates in coordination with the clinical team: emotional support, communication support, decision support, and anticipatory grief support. The central hypothesis is that by intensively supporting surrogates in this highly stressful circumstance, the Four Supports Intervention will improve key elements of decision making, decrease long-term psychological distress among surrogates, and achieve more patient-centered care near the end of life.|
- Scheunemann LP, Cunningham TV, Arnold RM, Buddadhumaruk P, White, DB. How clinicians discuss critically ill patients' preferences and values with surrogates: an empirical analysis. Critical care medicine. 2015 Apr; 43 (4) :757-64. PMID: 25565458 PMCID: PMC4548294.
- Schenker Y, Tiver GA, Hong SY, White DB. Discussion of treatment trials in intensive care. J of Crit Care. 2013; 28(5): 862-869.
- White DB, Cua SM, Walk R, Pollice L, Weissfeld L, Hong S, Landefeld CS, Arnold RM. Nurse-led Intervention to improve surrogate decision making for patients with advanced critical illness. Am J Crit Care. 2012; 21(6): 396-409.
- Schenker Y, Tiver GA, Hong SY, White DB. Association Between Physicians' Beliefs and the Option of Comfort Care for Critically Ill Patients. Intensive Care Med. 2012; 38(10): 1607-15.
- Cox CE, Lewis CL, Hanson LC, Hough CL, Kahn JM, White DB, Song MK, T JA, Carson SS. Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for surrogates with prolonged mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2012; 40(8): 2281-2286.
- Majesko A, Hong SY, Weissfeld L, White DB. Identifying family members who may struggle in the role of surrogate decision makers. Crit Care Med. 2012; 40(8):2281-6.
- Schenker Y, White DB, Asch DA, Kahn JM. Health-Care System Distrust in the Intensive Care Unit. J Crit Care. 2012; 27(1):3-10.
- White DB, Pope TM. The Courts, Futility, and the Ends of Medicine. JAMA. 2012; 307(2): 151-2.
- White DB. Rethinking Interventions to Improve Surrogate Decision Making in Intensive Care Units. Am J Crit Care. 2011; 20(3): 252-7.
- Johnson SK, Bautista CA, Hong SY, Weissfeld L, White DB. An empirical study of surrogates' preferred level of control over value-laden life support decisions in intensive care units. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011;183(7):915-21.
- White DB, Engelberg RA, Wenrich MD, Lo B, Curtis JR. The language of prognostication in intensive care units. Med Decis Making. 2010; 30(1):76-83.
- Apatira L, Boyd EA, Malvar G, Evans LR, Luce JM, Lo B, White DB. Hope, truth, and preparing for death: perspectives of surrogate decision makers. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Dec 16;149(12):861-8.
- Curtis JR, White DB. Practical guidance for evidence-based ICU family conferences. Chest. 2008; 134(4): 835-43.
- Zier LS, Burack JH, Micco G, Chipman AK, Frank JA, Luce JM, White DB. Doubt and belief in physicians' ability to prognosticate during critical illness: the perspective of surrogate decision makers. Crit Care Med. 2008;36(8):2341-7.